Sample Collection Instructions | Prenatal Test
- Contact the courier prior to your appointment to ensure that you can arrange a convenient collection time for the pick-up of the samples. We highly recommend that all samples are dispatched on the same day as when the blood sample is collected.
- We also strongly recommend that the blood sample collection takes place as early in the day as possible. Make sure to only use the courier pouch provided to place your samples in.
- Do not use any other blood collection tubes other than the ones provided in our kit.
- Ensure that the correct amount of blood is supplied.
- Collection of the father’s samples can be done at home by following the instructions provided in our kit.
- Ensure that the sample submission form is completed and that all the required information has been filled in.
Contents of the Sampling Kit
– 1x box containing:
- 1x consent form
- 1x sample collection instructions
- 1x courier collection instructions
- 1x terms & conditions
- 1x swab envelope
- 2x 2 swabs
- 2x absorbent pad
- 2x 10 ml blood collection tube
- 1x foam insert
- 1x biohazard bag
- 1x security seal
- 1x return courier pouch
Procedure for Blood Sample Collection (mother)
- Book an appointment with a person qualified to take the blood sample (more than 7 ml). Be sure to take your sample collection kit with you to your appointment.
- Drink plenty of water just before the blood sample collection.
- Make sure to use the 2x 10 ml blood collection tubes for the mother’s sample. Ensure that the tubes are labelled with the information requested.
- Fill out the consent forms carefully.
- Once the doctor or nurse has collected the blood sample in the relevant tubes and labelled them carefully, it is recommended that the tubes are rotated by hand to ensure that the blood, anticoagulant and stabilizer are thoroughly mixed. The tubes must be placed back into the foam insert provided.
The father’s samples (cheek cells) are collected via 4 mouth swabs. Visit our sample collection page for more information on how to collect a swab sample.
Sending your samples back
- Place the foam insert including the tubes and absorbent pads into the Biohazard Bag.
- You may then proceed to insert the Biohazard Bag into the white box provided.
- Remember to include the envelope containing the father’s swabs and consent form. However, do not place them inside the Biohazard Bag with the samples.
- Insert the white box into the courier pouch provided. Take note of the tracking number and seal the pack.
- Excess heat can cause samples to fail. Please ensure that they are kept at room temperature.
- Please ensure that you close and seal the courier pouch correctly. Failure to do so may result in the loss of the samples in transit and the need to re-sample.
- Call up the courier for collection and dispatch of your samples. Make sure to mention that you have a prepaid courier pouch.
- Once the samples have been sent, contact us to confirm that you have sent the samples. Always remember to quote case reference code.
Please arrange to have the samples collected on the same day of collection and within a short period of time as the samples need to be returned to the laboratory within 4 days.
Learn more about how this DNA test can help you to determine your baby’s paternity!